It’s no secret that social media, when used strategically, is a marketing force to be reckoned with.
The ways social media has dominated our culture the past few years is nothing less than incredible — some political issues have primarily been driven by social media, it’s hard to find a TV commercial without seeing Facebook or Twitter logos, 24-hour news networks constantly note feedback and information from social media, and so on.
With that said, the following statistics shouldn’t be too surprising, but they’re still very compelling to marketers and business owners who haven’t bought into the social media craze.
Tweetable Social Media Statistics
1. Asking questions on Facebook drives interaction up by 10 to 20 percent. (Source: Buffer) [Click to Tweet This]
2. The 55-64 age group is the fastest growing demographic on Twitter — at 79% since 2012. (Source: Jeff Bullas) [Click to Tweet This]
3. 74% of Americans are unfamiliar with the concept of checking in to a location via mobile device. (Source: Convince & Convert) [Click to Tweet This]
4. Social media produces almost double the marketing leads of telemarketing, direct mail, or PPC. (Source: HubSpot) [Click to Tweet This]
5. One out of every seven minutes spent online is on Facebook. (Source: Media Bistro) [Click to Tweet This]
6. 23% of Facebook’s users check their account five or more times every day. (Source: The Social Habit) [Click to Tweet This]
7. 71% of social media users say they’re more likely to purchase from a brand they are connected with. (Source: AllTwitter) [Click to Tweet This]
8. Those with a college degree are less likely than those with some college to use social networks. (Source: Huffington Post) [Click to Tweet This]
9. There are 575 likes and 81 comments by Instagram users every second. (Source: Digital Buzz Blog) [Click to Tweet This]
10. 56 percent of customer tweets to companies are being ignored. (Source: AllTwitter) [Click to Tweet This]
11. Pinterest referrals spend 70 percent more money than visitors referred from non-social channels. (Source: Search Engine Journal) [Click to Tweet This]
12. 40 percent of marketers use Google+ and 70% want to learn more about it. (Source: Social Media Examiner) [Click to Tweet This]
13. 77 percent of B2C companies and 43 percent of B2B companies acquired customers from Facebook. (Source: Business2Community) [Click to Tweet This]
14. Nearly 1/4 of those aged 18-34 use social media to comment on the storyline while watching TV. (Source: Nielsen) [Click to Tweet This]
15. Approximately 46% of online users count on social media when making a purchase decision. (Source: Nielsen) [Click to Tweet This]
Share Your Own Social Media Statistics
Do you have an interesting or shocking social media statistic? Share it in the comments!